Coconut cream pie is one of my favorite cream pies. When I bake a pie, I have certain requirements the pie has to meet if I am going to keep the recipe around. I had been making pie after pie until I found one that met all my requirements.
I want my coconut cream pie to have a silky smooth coconut custard with sweet coconut flakes throughout. I don’t want the coconut to over power the rest of the pie. So it needs to have the perfect balance of coconut and cream.
The cream on top needs to be sweet, but not so sweet you get an instant sugar headache with the first bite. I like it to be thick and creamy with a hint of vanilla. The crust needs to be a nice compliment to the pie filling and not take over the show. I don’t want the crust to be so thick that it overpowers the rest of the pie. I want it to be flaky, but not too dry. I know this is quite a list. After all this time, I have finally come up with the perfect combination. Don’t take my word for it, try it out for yourself!
Until next time,
Coconut Cream Pie
1 9-inch pie shell, baked (click here for the perfect flaky pie crust recipe)
3 cups whole milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup of sweetened coconut flakes
1. Have baked 9-inch pie shell ready.
2. In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
3. In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk.
4. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.
5. Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
6. In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks slightly beaten; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.
7. Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
8. Remove from heat and blend in the butter, coconut extract, and ½ cup of coconut flakes.
9. Let sit until lukewarm.
10. Add the coconut custard to the cooled pie crust. Place a strip of plastic wrap the size of the pie on the custard so it doesn’t form a skin on the top.
11. Once the pie is completely cool, make the whipped cream and the toasted coconut flakes. Spread the whipped cream over the pie and sprinkle the toasted coconut flakes over the top. Refrigerate the pie until ready to serve.
Pour the two cups of heavy cream to medium sized bowl. Add 1/4 c. granulated sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla extract to cream. With electric mixer whip the cream up till it form stiff peaks.
Toasted coconut flakes:
Place remaining coconut flakes in medium sized skillet and stir constantly over low heat. Once the coconut starts to turn a light golden brown, take the skillet off the heat and transfer the toasted coconut flakes to a small bowl until it completely cools down.
You may also like the following No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake Pie
To take and leave A Reply To A Comment" from someone else, take and hover your mouse over the comment you wish to Reply to: